And it’s a Cloche!

elegant cloche

Finally, finally, the cloche is done! It involved this pattern, way too much frogging, frustration, and a lovely video to teach me how to reverse single crochet. Following the pattern exactly with this one just wasn’t working, as frustrating as that was. I mean, it’s pretty and all, but who has a head that small? Though now this leaves me wondering: do I really crochet that tightly? I had to add twelve extra rounds before the band base to make the crown long enough, and I’m using a size H hook when a size G is recommended in the pattern! Well, I got the brim to where I thought I was done and had to frog back past the band base to add more rounds after this picture was taken. But finally, I thought that I was pretty well done.

Unfortunately, not so. I tried just adding extra rounds to the brim, but that wasn’t working. It started turning down … which I did not want my brim to do. So I frogged back to the increase rounds on the brim and improvised three additional increase rounds with 11, 12, and 13 single crochets between single crochet increases in each respective round. I did my best to stagger them, too. I don’t want a hexagonal hat. I want a nice, round, elegant, feminine cloche. So yes, after the three extra increase rounds I just added the two regular rounds as was finally able to finish off the main body of the hat. That meant that now I had to figure out how reverse single crochet … and since I found the directions how to do it on the pattern horrifically unclear, that meant going off to google.

Yeah, google has saved me more than once. I love how many tutorial videos there are on youtube and other places about the web. I come across a term I’ve forgotten or one that’s new, and a quick web search later I’m refreshed or in possession of a  new skill. Anyway, I found the video I mentioned earlier and learned to reverse crochet. It’s really kind of cool. I might try making up a pattern involving it at some point. But yeah, I worked the first round and wasn’t sure about how to transfer to the next. After trying a few things I justed finished the round and worked each of the three band rounds separately. Then it was a false start on the bow because my eyes were tired and I mis-read the pattern. But finally the bow was done …

And I didn’t have a yarn needle. I really hope I get random compliments from strangers on my hat. The entire experience has been remarkably frustrating. When I work in ends, I just use my hook. It works just fine, right? But it doesn’t work for sewing pieces to other pieces. At least I need a yarn needle for my next project … a sweater for my Snort for Christmas. It’s going to have a stegosaurus on the front! I’m going to check my gauge before starting, believe me. There is no way I’m frogging on a sweater.

So one trip to Wal-Mart later, I have yarn for Snort’s Christmas dinosaur sweater and hooks because I have no idea where my old ones went. I think they’re somewhere in the depths of the shed … but of course not in the bucket of yarn and cloth that I managed to dig out. I guess when I find them all I’ll be giving doubles as gifts. Anyway, I sew the bow on lickety-split and finally have a finished cloche. I actually really love it, and I think it was probably worth all the effort.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: